***
Source: Thompson, Robert A., Historical and descriptive sketch of
Sonoma County, California. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co., 1877, 122 pgs.
Notice: This data is donated to the Public Domain by TAG, 2004,
and may be copied freely by anyone to anywhere.
***
---page 100---
Russians in 1812; the stockade at Ross was build shortly after, with the double
purpose of repelling the attacks of Indians or of the Californians, should either
attempt to dispossess the fur hunters. It was admirably chosen for the purpose
of defense. The Russians might have defied all the forces that could possibly
have been brought against them, and did hold possession of the country around
Ross until they were ready to leave, in 1840. The place is now owned by an
enterprising citizen, Mr. G. W. Call, who uses it as a farm and dairy ranch.
There is an excellent shipping point at Ross, from which farm products,
wood, posts, lumber and tan-bark, are shipped by coasters directly to the city.
TIMBER COVE.
This is the next shipping point north of Ross. It was first used as such in
1856. It consists of a hotel, store, post, and express office, and several dwel-
lings. W. R. Miller formerly had a saw-mill here, and an immense amount
of lumber, posts, ties, cord-wood, and tan-bark have been shipped from this
point.
SALT POINT
is a shipping place, four miles north of Timber Cove. It was first settled, as
we have elsewhere stated, by Hendy & Duncan, and was once a place of con-
siderable business importance. The chutes, and a large tract of land around
it, are owned by a San Francisco firm.
FISK'S MILL
is situated three miles north of Salt Point. It was first occupied and used
as a shipping point by J. C. Fisk, from whom the post-office takes its name.
The place is now owned by F. M. Helmke, who has a beautiful home there by
the sea. Mr. Helmke keeps the place in excellent order. His mill, which
formerly stood here, has been moved higher up the coast. From this point a
large amount of cord-wood, tan-bark, etc., is shipped. There is a post and
express office at this place.
FISHERMAN'S BAY
is situated twenty-eight miles north of Russian river, and twelve miles south
of Valhalla river. It was first settled in 1858, and contains a hotel, store and
saloon, all owned by J. C. Fisk, who also has the shutes for shipping cord-
wood, lumber, tan-bark, post, fencing and railroad ties. There is annually
shipped from this point one thousand cords of tan-bark, five hundred cords of
oak wood, sixty thousand posts, and eight million feet of lumber. The tan-
bark is worth ten dollars per cord at the chute, wood six dollars per cord,
posts six dollars per hundred, and lumber sixteen dollars per thousand. Pop-
ulation of the place about one hundred.
BODEGA.
This thriving village derives its name from the port of Bodega, near which
it is situated, and the port from its discoverer, Juan Francisco de la Bodega.
Bodega is on a portion of the tract farmed by the Russians, and had a number
***
end
***